Saturday, May 28, 2016

Pts for week of May 29

Sunday-Ps.96 is part of a section of praise material.How would you write it in 2016? I like the end where the wordless creation erupts in praise in vv12-13. What would that sound like to you?

Monday-Martin Luther puts it this way in the third article of the creed in his Small Catechism: "I believe that I cannot by my own understanding or strength believe in Jesus Christ my Lord or come to him, but instead the Holy Spirit has called me through the gospel, enlightened me with his gifts, made me holy, and kept me in the true faith, just as he calls, gathers, enlightens, and makes holy the whole Christian church on earth and keeps it united with Jesus Christ in the one common, true faith . . . This is most certainly true."

Tuesday- father promised his son a pony for his birthday. The big day arrived and the son went out to the barn and opened the barn door. All he could see was a pile of manure, so he began to shovel. "There's a pony in here! There's a pony in here from my father!" he said to himself. "My father promised me and he does not lie." Amid the "manure" of life, our Father provides a gift. When I told this Sufi story to my primary care physician, he shared a Buddhist saying, "No mud, no lotus."In today's reading (Rom 5:1-5), Paul writes that suffering (manure, mud) leads to hope (pony, lotus), and "hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit." David Kupka

Wednesday-This Is My father’s World  was written by Maltbie Davenport Babcock, a minister, would often go for long walks by Niagara Falls and Lake Huron where he enjoyed the panoramic views. It was here that he was inspired to write the poem that is the basis of this hymn. The hymn reminds me of a large painting called "Serenity." The artist portrayed a huge, roaring, roiling waterfall that fills most of painting. In the foreground there is a birch tree with a bird's nest where a mother robin perches.For me the waterfall represents the chaos, fear, and terror of life today. In the midst of this tumult sits the robin on her nest. That image for me represents the "peace that passes all understanding." As the hymn puts it, "though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet." No matter what happens this is still God's world!

Thursday-a core wound, often from childhood, amy haunt us. These wounds distort the reality of who we are and lead us to compulsive acts. They need to be tended and healed which is challenging because they connect us to our deepest vulnerability." (Abbey of the Arts)

Friday-While the "balm of Gilead" has its roots in Jeremiah, the lyrics of this spiritual link this image to the New Testament message of salvation through Christ.In the New Testament, the word for "healing" is the same word as for "saving." This means that the One who heals us through the doctors, nurses, drugs and medicines, also restores us to health and wholeness. Just as he heals our bodies, he also heals our "sin-sick" souls and saves us for eternity.

Saturday-G.K. Chesterton,  "the soul survives its adventures."

No comments: