Saturday, October 31, 2015

Spiritual Points for Week of Nov. 1

Sunday-Ps.24:4-6 has core elements of why it is selected for All Saints Day. How are we cleansed as Christians? What does it mean to you s to seek the face of God? Where would you seek vindication and blessing in heaven?
Monday-One of the suggested scripture readings contained in the beautiful late night service of Compline is the invitation of Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30: Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light (NRSV). This seems an entirely appropriate way to end the day. As we let go of the busyness, the fragmentedness, the weariness, we pause to ask ourselves how far we have lived out of that gentle humility which Christ displayed and which we too will know as we are "yoked" to him.  From Weavings: A Journal of the Christian Spiritual Life
Tuesday- let go of our own plans. As the poet David Whyte writes, “what you can plan is too small for you to live.”
Wednesday-Ira Kent Groff-"This is the best of days--when new observations lead to new questions," says a scientist in iMax movie "Humpback Whales." If first goal of spirituality is to observe--to be aware, to really pay attention (Hebrew shema), then the next goal is to ask questions like Jesus (Matthew 18:12): "What do you think?" What's going on in me when I get disturbed by a friend's off-hand comment? Our inner questioning becomes prayer to God (like in the Psalms): What's happening?
Thursday-We are "not born in order to die, but in order to begin" ~ Arendt

Friday-"If I am at peace with myself, I do not need to despise others" (Schonborn) ... and when others despise me, I will remain largely unaffected

Saturday-from Abbey of the arts-does God give suffering? No,... as human beings, we will experience suffering, and through grace we can encounter God’s presence there with us guiding us and helping to give our suffering meaning."

No comments: