Friday, July 12, 2013

friday column-notes on beuaty

OK, I admit it; I read a bit in the bathroom. Right now, the book is merely title Beauty by John O’Donohue. At my continuing education program this year, I took a class on the arts and theology. So, lately, I have been playing around with the notion of beauty in life. I appreciate getting this space as it allows me to try to work through some points at the outer edge of my ability to even put my finger on something I take for granted constantly. Beauty seems to apply to a pleasing pattern of elements that create a sense of harmony and completeness. In particular, when can we even use the word in a world where preferences get bandied about like facts? Do we have areas in life where we can agree on the beautiful, or are we consigned to only individual perceptions of beauty? After all, we no longer can agree on the factual, as major public figures continue to deny the best evidence we can muster if it disagrees with their previous position.

With the media age, we see pictures of beautiful people all of the time. I do not get inured to it, but repetition can make even the breathtaking mundane, I suppose. At the same time, we make qualifications, a natural beauty, an enhanced beauty, a face alone or a sculpted body. For models the ideal body type seems to approach a painful thinness and gorgeous women are consigned to the “plus-sized’ model category. the words itself gets thrown around enough that women seem to doubt it when it is applied to them.

Someone asked me recently what I thought about the Alton area. My first response is tha the grinding poverty depresses me. My second response is that I enjoy being able to take in the bluffs upriver and riding my bike along its levee. To clear my head at work, I will walk along the river and take in it changing contours. (In fact, I am drawn to it when I finish this piece and polish my sermon a bit).  What draws me to it? I am always taken by h its sheer width to Missouri. At the same time, its variety catches my eye: its eddies, its surface changes, its shifting colors, even the trees that floated and collected during the floods.

As I write this, we are getting ready to read the story of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10.  I would say that the Samaritan did a beautiful thing. We see the ugliness of violence day after day. Here our eyes are assaulted by the rusting hulks of factories and the decay of once fine public building within shouting distance from the City Hall. The act of the Samaritan is both good and beautiful. it makes actual an aspiration toward compassion. to me, it is a beautiful thing to do as its sequence fits a pattern that makes the compassion whole. The parts of the act fit together toward its enacted good. Just this week, our eldest daughter’s friends acted beautifully in helping her move.


At a spiritual level, I suppose that beauty is an element of the holy itself. I Our youngest turns 21 next Saturday. I recall that she was born in the late afternoon. so the sun struck her body as it emerged from the womb. To be present in the face of a wrinkly, red, squalling infant is a beautiful moment. It was a holy moment, as was the first time I got to hear the whoosh, whoosh of her heartbeat on the early ultrasound device that heralded the presence of a new life forming. This is an appropriate time to close. What are beautiful moments, acts, and sights in your life right now?

No comments: