Sunday, February 18, 2018

Devotional Points for week of Feb. 18


Sunday-Ps.25:1-10 at the end of v. 7 comes: for your goodness’ sake, O Lord. How does god act of of goodness’ sake? Is God’s goodness equal to ours? How can one be faithful to goodness?

Monday-Prayer Poem: "There & Here"You can't get here from there./By dwelling on a future place,/an outgrown year, you fail to be aware/in this space, this here, and/you will miss the seed of joy/within the anger or the languor. Ira Kent Groff

Tuesday-Madeleine L’Engle-What happens to all my prayers – those that are not answered, and those that seem to make things worse than anyone ever anticipated? Surely they are still sustaining me. Perhaps there will be unexpected answers to them, answers I may not even be aware of for years. I cannot believe they are wasted or lost. I do not know where they have gone, but I believe God holds them, hand outstretched to receive them like precious pearls.

Wednesday-"In Medieval times, the Song of Songs became the exemplary image for the mystical union between person and Beloved. The language of longing was considered to be the perfect way to express how deep our own longing for God can be, and conversely, how much God longs for and desires us."--- Christine Valters Paintner,

Thursday-from a charge at Louisville Seminary-Remind us that, even on our busiest days, we can take a break. Remind us that honest vulnerability is also an asset. Remind us of the importance of the simple act of showing up. Remind us that you, too, are human. ...Remind us that there is life outside of these walls and there are priorities beyond meetings, and deadlines. Remind us that laughter and dancing are good for the soul. Remind us that we are beloved children of God. Remind us that we are never in this life alone.

Friday from Pres. Outlook-The cab driver pulled over to the curb, I paid, and he got out to get my bag...he said, "Pray for me." Then emphatically again, "Pray for me." I asked his name. I told him mine. Suddenly, I saw him in a whole new light. Not just a cab driver, but my brother, one for whom I had been entrusted to pray. I saw Jesus in a whole new light, too...  Not one contained in the boxes in which I place him, but one who transcends any limits I try to impose upon him,... as close as the person right in front of me. In those moments of revelation, transfiguration, I don't know what to say, but I am left only to listen, for God, to Jesus, in the clouds and in taxis too.

Saturday- Thomas Merton:“My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”

No comments: