Sunday, February 26, 2017

Week of Feb. 26 Devotional

Sunday-Ps.99 is one of the choices for today. It continues a series of psalms with God as king. With all of that power, God forgives (v. 8). How does forgiveness include power?

Monday-Macrina Wiederkehr-"Silence is like a river of grace inviting us to leap unafraid into its beckoning depths. It is dark and mysterious in the waters of grace. Yet in the silent darkness we are given new eyes. In the heart of the divine we can see more clearly who we are. We are renewed and cleansed in this river of silence.

Tuesday-Where have you been forced by circumstance of family or culture into a life that no longer feels like your own?What has been sacrificed that you thought was lost?
How might you reclaim this in your life?Who are the wise ones to help you guide the way?

Wednesday-I assumed you thrived more within the blessings of routines or within the advantages of adventures. One or another, not both, worked better for me, so I thought.“You can’t enjoy both,” lying voices whispered to my heart.


Thursday-Lamentation, however, forces us to slow down. In the midst of daily tragedy, lamentation requires us to stay engaged after the cameras and publicity move on. It summons us to immerse ourselves in the pain and despair of the world, of our communities, of our own sinfulness.Still, why lament?Because, paradoxically, often the best way to cure pain is to engage it. (alban Inst.)


Friday-Our liturgy ends not with an admonition to head out and find a cappuccino and The New York Times, but to go and love and serve in the name of the Lord. Like Jesus, we have a message to proclaim - a message of release, recovery, freedom and favour.-Br. James Koester

Saturday-Parker-Palmer-I won’t know the answer until I get there. But on my way to that day, I’ve found a question that’s already giving me a new sense of meaning. I no longer ask, “What do I want to let go of, and what do I want to hang on to?” Instead I ask, “What do I want to let go of, and what do I want to give myself to?”The desire to “hang on” comes from a sense of scarcity and fear. The desire to “give myself” comes from a sense of abundance and generosity. Those are the kinds of truths I want to wither into.

No comments: