Monday, February 10, 2014

OT Notes Dt. 30:15-20

I like the book Dt. and the Death of Moses a good bit by our professor Dennis Olson at Princeton.To me much of this book is attributed to Moses but written, at times, with a look toward the destruction of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah. does this affect your reading much?

1) I always think of John Paul II and his culture of death/culture of life dichotomy here. Olson sees this section within a covenant liturgy. It is an elaboration of the first Commandment.

2) I need t become more clear on the  difference between statute and ordinance in Scripture. It seems that choq and related words has the sense of an enactment by a council or a greater specificity than a general commandment, but I do not have a sense of it being secular, religious, or both. the word for ordinance seems to be mishpat and related words in the sense of a particular judgment or determination.

3) My notes my my new oxford bible see this as linked to treaty language in the Near East. I am not sure if it is the case or how helpful it is to note that.

4) why are heaven and earth the witness?

5)Life certainly is connected to the promised Land and death  may be an intimation of exile.

6) I have come to see wisdom material, especially in proverbs as related to, a commentary on, the paths of life and death.

7) How does one choose life, emotionally, mentally, socially? What are concrete examples of it?



No comments: