Monday, December 2, 2013

Week of Dec. 1 Notes

Sunday Dec. 1-It is always a good time of year to read Ps. 122 is a plea for peace. I like that it keeps a focus on jerusalem. Sometimes peace is so abstract that it takes on all the surface of a holiday card without any of the concreteness and depth it so richly deserves. Advent includes the final resolution of the Prince of peace. specifically, where would you like to see peace in your heart and what specific place would you like to see conflict finally be resolved?

Monday- “We have different names for the Spirit of life due to different life experiences.-God is not only a divine person who we cna address in prayer, but also a wide living space...We human beings are giving each other space for lining when we mmet each other in love and friendship.” Jurgen Moltmann picks up the ancient idea of salvation is a lfree living space of room and security, the essence of shalom as well-being.

Tuesday-Already I sense the Christmas rush is starting. Sometimes, i am OK with it, as Mary and joseph certainly felt rushed and pressured on the way to Bethlehem. On the other hand, how we have made a holiday of heavenly peace into a season of frenetic activity mystifies me. This season, please consider getting better organized to lessen the crush. Please consider lessening the sheer number of activities to a more manageable number. Mya you then sleep more easily in heavenly peace.

Wednesday-I had not hear an old Bruce Springsteen song, back in your arms again for a long time. One line has haunted me about encountering love but” I met you with indifference/and I don’t know why.” Why do we greet love with indifference? What do you think brings on indifference? Could it be indifference even to our inmost self? Why do we treat some people as more worthy of attention than others? Most critically, why do we so often greet God with indifference?

Thursday-I saw the new film, adapted from a novel, the Book Thief. One of its fine scenes is when a Jewish refugee is hiding, he tells the girl about the power of the word and writing as that which makes us different than being a beast, that God created through a word.So many relationship exist because a word was spoken at the right time, and a seed of love is planted.

Friday-I bought a Carrie Newcomer recording. One of the tracks that hit me hard was Before and After-.”We live our lives from then until now, /By the mercy received and the marks on our brow
To my heart I’ll collect what the four winds will scatter /And frame my life into before and after…. I’ve stretched my soul over fifty states,/I have lived on fumes and religious cornflakes, And once I dreamt my shoe had grown thin and battered,/And forgave myself for what didn’t matter.”

Saturday-Pearl Harbor was 72 years ago; is that possible? the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination marks a day burned in many of our memories as well. The shock and ache of such events may surprise us with its continuing power and capacity to bring us back to that awful moment in time. Memories need healing at times, and I suppose heaven will be a place for such healing, but perhaps the pain will be wiped away in a moment; who knows?

No comments: