Sunday, April 7, 2013

Devotional Thoughts Week of April 7


Sunday April 7-Ps.118 says “ I shall not die, but I shall live.” Later it says that the stone the builders rejected is the chief cornerstone. It is not too big a reach to see how early Christians read the Scripture with new eyes after Easter.How does Easter affect other places when you read Scripture/ How does Easter affect a Good Friday stress in one’s faith? How does Easter light and hope shine in your life?

Monday-resilience is a virtue I keep running into lately.the ability to bounce back is a gift.In some people ti seems to grow stronger over time, not weaker. I wonder if being with others improves resilience or if it stays strong on its own. I am amazed of what we can bounce back from. Of told, we would say, no way, but somehow we manage. i attribute much of that power to the very hand of God.

Tuesday-I saw the movie,NO, recently in STL. The people had a chance to vote no against the Pinochet regime. at first the media team wanted to vent spleen. An advertising consultant said  that such complaints about the past would turn off the people they needed to vote.So they ran a remarkably sunny, future-oriented campaign and won. I wonder when we speak of social justice who is move dby denunciation and threat and who is moved by a vision of a brighter future?

Wednesday-Family rituals create memory and community. I was reminded by this when our youngest asked me for the recipe for the Greek Easter bread I made for the girls every year.Family traditions become part of the family fabric; they become part of our expectations. what are some family traditions that you expect and help make a gathering? what are the most important elements of the church service for you?

Thursday-I’ve been sick a lot last month, and then the snow slowed me down to prepare a vegetable garden this year.I hope that I am at it this week.Every time we plant a seed is a declaration of hope. Every seed acknowledges that so much of it is a gift, the soil, the air, the light, the rain. Every seed that sprouts is a miracle of converting energy and light into growth. Then, that tiny seed may become an abundant plant. Can you apply any of that as an illustration of the spiritual life?

Friday-I listen to pandora on the computer.It is a remakrable program as it can seek out music similar to a list of songs you list. It can categorize the types of music one likes and offer suggestions.Do you have some particular spiriutal themes to which you are drawn and ones that you tend to reject almost out of hand? Do your favorite hymns tend to fall into similar categories?

Saturday-At Rotary, I heard the remarkable story of the bucket brigade in our area. Over the years volunteers have painted hundreds of houses. Told that everyone hates to paint, its founder was given nothing but objections. It shows how a project can gain traction and support over the years. Over time, a small project can work a huge effect on a community. Do you know of similar projects that have taken off in such a way?

No comments: