Friday, August 3, 2012

OT notes 2 Sam. 18

Ch. 18 Absalom-Faulkner uses this for his novel, Absalom, Absalom.One may choose to do some background on David’s failure as a parent, his callous treatment of a daughter, and his loss of political instincts as well. He is living out the curse of God against the Bathsheba episode, even though his life was spared. 2) I think I hear God’s cry on Good Friday, my son, my son, would that I have died instead of you, my son, my son. 3) How the lector reads this story can have varying impact.I think it was Willimon who recalled how males read it with force, but a woman read it with heartbreak. 4) I find this a cinematic story with its searching the horizon, its anxiety, like waiting for a teenaged driver to come home safely.The narrative pacing here is brilliant with the approach of riders on the distance horizon.Robert Alter is insightful here.the reader knows Absalom's fate, so this is like Apollo 13's tension when we know how the sotry will ned. it therefor e forces us to see with David's eyes. 5) At v. 13 the sin has weight, gravitas, more than a stain, but a burden of solid guilt. 6) How is David torn by being father and king here? 7) Where is David rage, shame, pride here? Has his guilt swallowed those up? What happens when we deliberately reflect that Ps. 130 is paired here? 8) this could be a good place to speak of the pain of parents concerning their children, no matter what.

No comments: