Monday, January 26, 2009


I'm ill, and I'm in a bad mood, but since our group could not meet, here goes. I may add to this later.

1) What does a prophet like Moses mean? Is it attributes, is it agreement with the Torah, is it the willingness to die as Moses risked in being the mediator for the people, see 5:22-31? does it mean clear indication of God's desire for the people?

2) this became a messianic hope, see Acts 3:22-6, 7:37

3) My words in his mouth. Thsi could be a good time to introduce the deep Reformed sense of preaching as nearly a sacrament, preaching as Word of God.

4)raising a prophet from among you seems to me to say that a prophet is not above the people, but from within. Sometimes, our sense of the prophetic has the sense of a harrangue. Prophecy here seems to me to have the sense of sharing a situation.

5) Nabi=prophet here. it can have the sense of a speaker for God, a herald.

6) The lectionary skips the part where prophecy has a future tense, so what we have here is a sense of prophet as a teller of truth, of placing a divine perspective over a situation.

No comments: