Friday, February 1, 2013

Week of Feb. 3 Devotions


Feb. 3 Sunday-Ps. 71 is one of the few psalms written explicitly from the perspective of growing older. This psalm has a great sense of God being with us in all periods of our lives. it also sees aging as an important place for continuing to  be able to speak of God to others. I often say that the relative quiet of aging permits more fervent prayer than the harried lives of the middle-aged. As you have grown older, where have you noticed improvements or decline in the quality of your spiritual life?

Monday-Patience is a virtue I continue to work on. One of my issues is that I have a little timer in my head that goes off when I think someone should be finished with some task. I also seem to be overly sensitive to what I consider rude behavior when people in a line seem to act as if they deserve special treatment. One starting point is to admit the impatient feeling and then have some ways to counter it. Often my impatience is a symptom that I am feeling stressed about something else.

Tuesday-I’ve been thinking about politically correct speech lately. I do realize that words do hurt. I realize that words create stereotypes. It seems to me that we sometime equate words with actions. Speech with which I disagree, to paraphrase Jefferson, “neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.” It seems ot me that actions or behaviors are of more concern. Isn’t that why we seek integrity, as in walking the talk?

Wednesday- We talked about boundaries in church yesterday. Yes, we are social creatures, but if we permit others to invade our privacy, our choices, even our attitudes, it confuses things. We can keep our boundaries to tight, impermeable and then buffer ourselves from life. We can keep them too porous and act as if everything is our business, our fault, our concern. What should we let in and what should we defend against?                        

Thursday- I am preparing for a short trip. I am looking up material about the city and its environs: things to do, places to eat. I wish I were that assiduous in preparing my spirutal maps. Planning for a trip has joy and expectation connected to it, but spiritual planning feels like a dutiful behavior to me. If you could snap your fingers and move your spirutal life ot a new plane, what would it then look like? Come back to reality, what are some ways to reach that place? Could you at least take a few steps in that direction?

Friday-I’m listening to a radio station as I write this, WTTS. They play songs A through Z for a while. Some psalms use a similar format. It gives a sense of completeness, of having a chance to say your speech. A-Z also has a sense of closure. When one reaches the final letter, is it not time to move on? As a spiritual exercise, consider writing out an A-Z prayer on some virtue or vice, some facet of your relationship with God, some hope or frustration?.

Saturday-We had a talk at Rotary recently from Pere Marquette’s naturalist on bobcats, eagles, and other wildlife in our area. We are fortunate to have such a great facility in our area. When does wildlife make you appreciate creation and when does it threaten something you hold dear? How do you balance respect for creation and economic developments?

No comments: