Saturday, September 1, 2012

First Week in Sept Devotions

Sunday Sept.2-Ps. 45 is a royal wedding psalm, fit for Prince William and his beautiful bride, perhaps. Since it is a royal psalm it grates on democratic ears. It odes fit the grand procession so many brides imagine. It brings to mind when TR had to walk his niece Eleanor down the aisle to marry FDR, and he exulted, “you look magnificent.” Consider writing a wedding psalm, one of memory or one of hope, or maybe one for a child or grandchild. Labor Day-I love the idea of having a holiday celebrating working people. In the first creation account, chapter two of genesis moves toward what could be the goal of creation: the Sabbath. Our BCW has this prayer: “for work to do and strength to work; for the comradeship of labor; for exchanges of good humor and encouragement; we thank you, God.” Tuesday-Summer traditionally ends today. I still hold a trace of sadness for children that summer is over and school has started. when I was young, I appreciated how the time seem to beckon outward, and I could listen to Pirate games on the radio into the night, without knowing that I need to wake early for school. What memories of summer captivate you/ what hopes for summer drive you to the next plans for vacation, the next big family outing? Wednesday-I decided to build up for some hiking and convinced myself it wasn’t going to rain on Sunday. So I was the farthest point of the hike when the downpour came. I had to look under my glasses to see, even as I was slipping from all of the debris rushing down the hillside trail. I made it back without too much trouble and was laughing about it even as it was happening. Apply such a memory to your spiritual life. When were you in denial? What makes you path slippery? What gives you a sense of safety, of security? When is your vision clouded? Thursday-It may be a blessing to forget a hurt, but forgetting is problematic when we forget an appointment. Some say it may be repression, or being passively aggressive, but it can be as simple as the stress of trying to hold too many things in the mind at the same time. When does a faulty memory give you trouble? When is it a blessing? When have you found yourself in the position of actually forgetting about a hurt? Friday-I recoil from the idea of suffering as a test of character. I especially recoil from the idea that God tests us by placing difficulties in our way. To me, suffering can destroy much more easily than hone the edge of our capacities. If suffering is an educative tool, I want to see a different lesson plan. To me, suffering cries out for healing. By and large, we do well not to blame victims of suffering for their plight, even if they carry much of the responsibility for it. It is not an opportune time to admonish the sinner. Saturday-I wonder why we gravitate to the music of our youth with more of a hold than new songs. Even in church, I notice that people rarely speak well of new hymns but use the hymns of their youth as the center of liturgical gravity. Are they attached to times of our lives that we invest with much importance, so the song itself is independent of the events?

No comments: