Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I John 4:7-21 notes

1) God is love is the lynchpin of my image of God. When I get confused or uncertain, I return to this.The primary evidence is the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. 2) God's love is evident among us, what NRSV translates as for us. In other words, yes Jesus loves me, but Jesus loves us. 3) In the new textweek, Dr. Peterson is careful to say God is love but love does not equal God. Fair enough, but I would urge the notion that love does indeed emerge from the character and nature of God.Elsewhere this passage has God's love being completed, find its goal/end/telos in our mutual love. 4) God abides/ dwells in/remains in our love. Stop for a bit and reflect on this extraordinary statement. 5) Perfect love casts our fear. Again, I think we are in umplumbed depths here.What is that perfect love? How does love cast out fear/ How does fear interfere with love? I think Shirley Mac lane said that fear keeps a stranger form becoming a friend.Notice the point about fear and punishment. Why does the church use fear then? 6) We encounter atoning sacrifice/propitiation again. What elements of god would require propitiation by the One Sent? 7) Notice the emphasis on the Sprint in this section. 8) What do you make of placing God's love first?

No comments: